Home

Monday 30 September 2019

30.09.2019
On Tuesday 24th September, following a lecture at my University discussing where you can look as a working artist for work, I was suggested to have a look at Curatorspace.com. As I was scrolling through the homepage I came across a call out for artists for 'Art for the climate crisis'. As the climate crisis and effect humans have had on the environment has been the content of my enquiry for over a year now, it instantly caught my eye. The call out was for Extinction Rebellion's International Rebellion on October 7th, requesting existing artworks or proposals for artwork ranging from large 3-D sculptures, to performance pieces. It read:

"A unique opportunity to inspire the public with the scale and urgency of the climate crisis and the need to pressure governments to take urgent action. The artwork will be displayed at an Extinction Rebellion central London protest site for two weeks in October, which will receive significant media attention. The theme of the site is 'Burned Earth'. Deadline, noon on 25th September."
As I only had less than 24hours to create a proposal I didn't want to get my hopes up too much if I didn't get it, but instead would use the experience of answering an ad for an Artist for future reference. I worked really hard and put together an idea, watercolour sketch, artist statement and filled out the online application form. The application asked for an Artist statement, commission proposal, relevant previous experience, additional requirements, performance works, an upload of my CV and 5 images. 
My proposed idea was for a sculpture called 'Injustice Scales' where I would transform the traditional justice scales into a large and commanding sculpture. On one half of the scales, a burnt, leafless and lifeless tree or branch, and on the other a pile of money/coins, hanging considerably heavier than the tree. This represents the prioritising of money over the health and conservation of the Earth itself. 
1.5metres heigh and 1.5metres wide, the scales will be made from hollow steel poles and will be fixed into position. Metal bowls will hang from chains either side of the scales which will hold the tree and money. The tree will be fixed into place by attaching it to the bowl using a screw, and the money will be secured into place by an adhesive. 
My artist statement read: 
"The Amazon is vital to our survival, and now more than ever. An ecosystem of extraordinary riches, from timber to gold, wild animals and biodiversity to live stock. The Amazon is under threat, and so are we.
2019 has been a record year for wildfires burning in the Amazon, and someone is capitalising from the destruction. 
We need to shed light on the crime behind the crisis, and fight back to end this injustice."

 

After sending off my proposal late Tuesday evening, Thursday morning I got a message to say my proposal had been accepted and they would like to use my sculpture. I was given the email address of the Trafalgar Square site manager and build team, and had a phone call the following day. 

My sculpture will be in the Trafalgar Square site of the Rebellion, and will possibly be with other artworks. When speaking on the phone I got some feedback that they instantly liked my proposal. They all agreed how simplistic but impactful it was and that it would be a perfect fit for the space and event. She explained that the other artworks have had issues arise so it is uncertain if my artwork will be on its own or not. We discussed the possibility of having the sculpture slightly raised and on a plinth which I could make out of wood, along with other minor details about the beginning day. 

I am extremely excited to be apart of Extinction Rebellion and contribute to the protest in whatever way I can. I am also really excited to see one of my sculptures in the surrounding of Trafalgar Square, an important touristic area of London but also an important area for historic and contemporary art. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Polly would love to hear any feedback and comments about her work, questions are also welcomed!

06.10.19 As I received an email from Curatorspace.com that my proposal had been accepted on the morning of Thursday 26th Sept, it only ga...