Home

Monday 10 June 2019

29.05.2019
Today was workshop day with kids from the University’s Nursery and the Students Union to raise awareness about plastic pollution and get crafty with some bottle tops. Although I was really excited, I was nervous as I haven’t been involved with workshops before, but also as no one had even communicated a time or place where I needed to be. 
Upon arriving to the Students Union office’s I had found out that the staff member I had been liasing with and organising this whole project/day with, wasn’t going to be in and instead someone else was filling in. This was an issue as there was meant to be learning activities and an introduction to be completed before I took over and completed the craft side of the day. I had prepped a sheet with some kid friendly facts and questions to ask them, but as the participating kids arrived in two separate groups (4 kids of 6, 7, 10 and 11 years old, and Nursery children from 1-6 years old) it was clear the facts I had produced were not age appropriate. This was upsetting for me as I tried to prepare for the workshop but was given little to no information, meaning on the day I was unable to make the most of the time we had. 


Another issue that arose was that no materials had been bought for the sessions and I was informed that an A4 sheet of foam had been purchased for each child as well as lots of pva glue. When I had asked for these materials I was told that they hadn’t been bought already and we had to wait until the art shop reopened. 
This was quite unfair to me as I had to make the most out of a difficult situation, with no previous experience to draw on. As it was advertised using my name as the artist working with the students union (staying anonoymous) it looked as If I was the unprepared one. 
But, with all the things that went wrong, the kids didn’t seem to mind or notice and we did have a really fun afternoon. This is a massive learning curve as now I know the importance of communication. Multiple emails I had sent to a few members at the Students Union were left un-replied to, if we were able to have a quick meeting prior, it would have meant a smoother and more successful workshop. It has also taught me what details need to be considered to pull off a successful workshop, and the prep needed. I am gutted that I couldn’t offer more than I could on the day but will make sure that for future workshops and public interactions, I will be over prepared. 
During the day I also received a visit from a fellow student asking whether I would be able to come to a local community school and create a one hour workshop with them, teaching them about plastic pollution, and after create something out of plastic bottle tops together. This project is continuing to open doors to community and public art sessions, and I am excited to continue teaching kids to consider the effects were having on our planet, animals and oceans.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Polly would love to hear any feedback and comments about her work, questions are also welcomed!

06.10.19 As I received an email from Curatorspace.com that my proposal had been accepted on the morning of Thursday 26th Sept, it only ga...