Home

Wednesday 13 March 2019

12.03.2019
For the run up to our end of year show, we set up a test exhibition to try out different set ups or finished works. As my solo exhibition at AirSpace was fast approaching I wanted to set up the main sculptures and elements to receive some feedback.
Using a plinth to display 3 sculptures I tried to translate a shopping environment. With the display of mannequins in front, and the clothes racks for rummaging behind. As this was just a test exhibition and I only displayed a selection of the main pieces, I kept it quite bare with a traditional white cube style display. Seeing these works in that way proved that they needed to be contained and within a scene behind them, the bare and clinical feel felt very cold with a more confrontational message. Although this could've been the way I chose to display at AirSpace, I wanted to create an atmosphere that was less loaded with accusations. Making the display in a way that didn't point the finger was very important to me as my aim is to inspire change, not make anyone defensive or dismissive.
As I was talking through my ideas and intentions for AirSpace there was some confusion over why am I making a shop and what am I selling? Making it into a shop environment is to highlight where the neglect to the marine life and surrounding species is taking place, in food and product packaging. We are the consumers purchasing products wrapped in a dangerous and harmful material, and will be looking into the shop at the impact these plastic materials are having. We had discussed using a vinyl sticker with a fact or quote in the window to add some context for the viewer to help them understand my message. I think I have decided against this as hopefully with all the elements together they will be able to read the story themselves. It's important that this work makes a strong impact on the audience and part of that experience is doing the type of 'research' into the exhibition, similar to how we should be researching into our situation. One way I can make sure there is some clarity if someone can't work it out themselves, is by perfecting an artist statement. This needs to include why it is a shop, why I have used certain materials, what type of pollution its targeting, and what is my aim of the display. 
Other than concerns about about the audience receiving my work, I had some reassuring feedback that the sculptures ignited a deep discomfort and sadness. They are powerful pieces of imagery loaded with different emotions, I believe they will really stick in peoples minds and make them reconsider the amount of plastic within their household. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Polly would love to hear any feedback and comments about her work, questions are also welcomed!

06.10.19 As I received an email from Curatorspace.com that my proposal had been accepted on the morning of Thursday 26th Sept, it only ga...