Home

Sunday 24 March 2019

24.03.2019
After finishing off my sculptures and accompanying objects, It was time to box them up ready for install at AirSpace Gallery the following day. With minor jobs like building and painting the plinth, the last minute touches were finished off.
I then arrived at AirSpace this morning at 10am with two helpers for the day. As I'm not experienced with drilling and installing an array of different artworks, I have little knowledge to adapt to situations or issues that could've arose, so it was very helpful having someone who was.


We began installing the elements that were to be suspended from the ceiling, so we could work from the top to bottom. This was a premeditated strategy which proved essential to an efficient install. The window is raised from the floor of the gallery around 40-50cm, which restricts movement once the step ladder is inside. After securing the light, sun catchers, and the voile backdrop, with the advice of my helper we were able to hang the seagull from two cup hooks instead of one. This reduced the amount the sculpture swayed so that it was secure in one position.


Once we were finished with using the step ladder we were able to move onto placing the rest of the pieces, working next by finishing the right half of the window before the left. After visiting the gallery on Friday to take last minute measurements for the table and plinth, I realised I had to tweak my plan slightly. I had intended to have the table in the left half of the window, but decided to swap it over as the window's floor was raised too high from the pavement outside. This would have meant that the table would be too high, restricting the reflection from the mirror to around the bottom of a passer by's neck upwards. This could have prevented a moment for reflection that I wanted for the viewers, to be able to see themselves next to the sculptures which were sitting on the table. By swapping the table to the half of the window which was on a smaller angle of the hill outside, I was able to achieve an appropriate height.


Once I was happy with everything in the right half of the space, Glen added the vinyl lettering to the window with my name and information. This was such a surreal moment for me, I was thoroughly enjoying myself and any nerves I had about having my first solo show was replaced with excitement. All that was left was sweeping up and positioning the plinth with the 'seal choker' sculpture along with the clothes rail. Once I was happy with the positioning we trimmed the voile and drew back the divider/door.

I am overwhelmed with the result as my sketches have truly been transformed. The window doesn't look over crowded or bare, but seems to occupy the space with a strong presence. I believe that the work displayed is eye-catching, upsetting and necessarily provoking. We are at a point of crisis and hopefully the images displayed will stick in peoples minds, forcing them to take action.
I have learnt a lot so far about all the planning and experimenting needed to create a successful exhibit. My eye for detail is a lot finer now, as it is so important to keep standards high for both yourself but also the gallery supporting and collaborating with you. We had been working on the window from 10am to around 3pm pretty much constant, which was longer than I had expected, but have loved every moment.



A special thanks to Glen and Anna for aiding me with this opportunity, and to my helpers from today with install.

http://www.airspacegallery.org/index.php/projects/polly_bates_pollushine_is_it_worth_it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polly would love to hear any feedback and comments about her work, questions are also welcomed!

06.10.19 As I received an email from Curatorspace.com that my proposal had been accepted on the morning of Thursday 26th Sept, it only ga...