Home

Monday 25 March 2019

25.03.2019 
I was very excited to visit my exhibition at AirSpace Gallery today, to take some photos and to watch the public react with the space. I arrived around 12pm to catch the lunchtime rush, but saw that the 'Gulf Feather Oil' had fell over. After contacting Glen and retrieving the bottle from the window, it was clear that the sun we had in the morning had caused the oil to heat up, expanding the bottle until it was misshapen. I had to unfortunately remove the piece from the window as a result, but was lucky the bottle didn't burst onto the table and table cover. 




After dealing with this minor issue, I plotted up across the road for 2-3 hours watching pedestrians as they passed the gallery. It surprised me the amount of people who managed to walk past without a glance in the window or even the direction. I hadn't considered how hard it would be to catch their attention, only how to keep it, so this was a shock to me. As I watched I realised that those who did show some interest into the installation would only occasionally stop or slow down to get a better look or to read my artist statement.




This lead me to think about other ways I can draw attention to the work. How can I get an audience to the window that weren't passers by and walking to a destination, but their destination was the installation itself. So I emailed The Sentinel, Stoke on Trent's local newspaper, with information about myself and the work with a few images. Very soon after I received a reply from the executive print editor that they would use the story in the paper! This is very exciting as now I can reach a much wider audience for raising awareness about the window and my message behind the work. It will also hopefully bring in a crowd that has more time to spend in front of the work, with time to reflect and re-evaluate the amount of plastic usage in their household. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Polly would love to hear any feedback and comments about her work, questions are also welcomed!

06.10.19 As I received an email from Curatorspace.com that my proposal had been accepted on the morning of Thursday 26th Sept, it only ga...